2013 Chicago Festival Guide
It’s already that time of the year for the best season in Chicago: Street Fest Season! Get out your koozis and friends for day drinking, art, music, people watching, cover bands and some 90’s one-hit-wonders play that “one song” that everyone knows (“It’s been….one week since you looked at me…”) and trust me, these band go great with vodka lemonades. Chicago Fest Season 2013!
*Disclosure: There are many more, as this is just a highlighted list.
- 25-26th: Belmont Music Fest (Lakeview)
- 30-June 2nd: Maifest (Lincoln Square)
- 31-June 2nd: Do Division (Wicker Park)
- 1-2: Lincoln Live (Lincoln Park)
- 7: Taste of Greece (West Loop)
- 7-8: Ribfest (Lakeview)
- 7-8: Blues Fest (Loop)
- 8-9: Wells Street Art Fair (Old Town)
- 8-9: Old Town Art Fair (Old Town)
- 14-16: Taste of Randolph (West Loop)
- 15-16: Sausage Fest (Wrigleyville) Hello, Abe Froman?
- 20-23: Chicago Craft Beer Festival (Old Town)
- 22-23: Pride Fest (Boystown)
- 23-24: Green Music Fest (Wicker Park)
- 28-29: Old St. Pat’s World’s Largest Block Party (West Loop)
- 29: Summer On Southport (Lakeview)
- 29-30: Chicago Country Fest (Lincoln Park)
- 29-30: Lincoln Park Arts and Music Festival (Lincoln Park)
- 30: Pride Parade (Boystown)
- 5-7: Windy City Rib Fest (Uptown)
- 6-7: Taste of Lakeview (Lakeview)
- 6-7: Rock Around the Block (Lakeview)
- 10-14: Taste of Chicago (Grant Park)
- 12-14: Windy City Smokeout (River North)
- 19-21: Pitchfork (Union Station)
- 20: Sheffield Garden Walk (Lincoln Park)
- 27-28: Taste of Lincoln (Lincoln Park)
- 27-28: Wicker Park Fest (Wicker Park)
- 2-4: Lollapalooza
- 3-4: Chicago Summerfest (Wrigleyville)
- 7-11: Tall Ship (Navy Pier)
- 10-11: Retro on Roscoe (Roscoe Village)
- 10-11: Halsted Market Days (Boystown)
- 17-18: Air and Water Show (lakefront/wherever you can see the planes)
- 22-25: Festa Italiano (Little Italy)
- 24-25: Bucktown Arts Fest (Bucktown)
- 30-Sept 1: North Coast Music Fest (Union Park)
- 6-8 Windy City Wine Fest (Grant Park)
- 7-8 Guinness Oyster Fest (Roscoe Village)
- 27-29: Oktoberfest (Lincoln Park)
Chicago in Spring is dressed in Bradford Pear Trees. Mind you they smell like crap, but they sure look good.
Just finished sound check and now I’m getting ready for the show tonight. We are in Chicago tonight, one of my favorite cities and most definitely a music town. Not only can you get a great hot dog, you can also get a great Midwestern accent, a chai latte, some free internet and a replacement pair of ear buds from the apple store.
Welcome to Thursday in Sara Bareilles’s world. It’s pretty miraculous.
Tonight’s home is Park West, a dreamy venue that kind of looks like Xanadu. Yes, the movie from the 80s. I think that’s partially why I like it so much because it allows me to entertain the idea that I just might wear roller skates and a silver tinsel wig and pretend I’m Olivia Newton-John for the night. Who knows? I’m so daring these days.
These solo shows have been the most amazing mixture of lovely and rowdy and poignant and sweet and down-right drunk. And yes, I’m describing my darling audience. Every show is different because of the energy that comes with whomever is filling up these seats each night and I’m but a humble rider on the wave.
It’s the ride of my life. Hazzah.
Overall I have to say thank you to the precious folks that are making these nights some of my favorite ones ever onstage. I will never forget this tour and I am thrilled to be at the beginning of it all. It will only unfold and get richer as we go I hope.
Off to eat my take out dinner and try to put on makeup in a dimly lit bus.
If I end up looking like Tammy Faye, it’s not my fault.
Wishing I was home with Chicago Sara tonight, wishing even more that she would be Columbus-area Sara some time before I graduate…
Home sweet home Chicago
Shanghai’shighest 3 buildings all struck with lightning at the same time.
HI THIS IS CHICAGO. THAT’S THE HANCOCK, SEARS/WILLIS, AND THE TRUMP. THE END BYE.